As a female surgeon, Dr Amisha Maraj is extremely compassionate towards her female patients. Understanding how the female anatomy differs from that of males and what this means for the female experience is simply the beginning. As a healthcare professional, she aims to assist her female patients physically and mentally through her keen interest in women’s health and manage the following female-related surgical conditions, including Obstetric Anal Sphincter Injuries and breast surgery.
Obstetric Anal Sphincter Injuries
This refers to tears to the perineum after childbirth, requiring repair of the vagina and anus. This is usually repaired in the acute setting after childbirth. Additionally, patients may present later with symptoms of faecal incontinence or rectovaginal fistula. As a specialist in her field, Dr Maraj is an extremely approachable surgeon with expertise in treating these injuries.
Breast Surgery & Breast Health
Dr Maraj is also passionate about health promotion and prevention and believes that early detection of breast cancer can save lives. She emphasises the need for women to perform regular breast self-examinations, and if any unexplained changes are noticed, you should see a doctor.
Unexplained symptoms include:
- Breast lump
- A lump in your armpit or around your collar bone
- Nipple changes and discharge
- A change in size, shape, the skin (thickening, puckering, dimpling) or nipples
- Pain in one breast or armpit
- Men too can also develop cancer of the breast and should see their GP if any of the above symptoms occur.
How we screen for breast cancer
- A detailed history including risk factors
- Clinical examination of a women’s overall health, including a physical exam of her breasts
- Breast ultrasound
- Mammogram, which is highly recommended for older women at risk of breast cancer
Dr Maraj manages the following breast-related issues:
- Screening for breast cancer
- Benign conditions such as fibroadenomas, including excision
- Breast biopsies
- Breast cancer surgery
- Breast pathology such as breast pain, nipple discharge
REQUEST AN APPOINTMENT